I was searching through some of the old articles I wrote when I was at the college paper, and was surprised by their quality. They were good....really good. I had a hard time remembering writing like that.
I thought about what I'd been writing lately, and realized that my current writing lacked the spark of my previous works. What happened? Has becoming a content writer made me a bad writer?
After a few moments of self-pity and regret, I realized that it wasn't the web writing that was making me a bad writer. It was just a different style of writing. It's shorter, more to the point, and more focus on information than entertainment.
But is this the fault of content writing? Or my fault entirely? Does the nature of the content market really require that articles be less stylish? Or is it just that I've started writing that way because that's what I can get away with?
I admit writing 20-30 articles per week versus writing one or two for my Alma mater does put a crimp in style and quality. The faster I can churn out articles, the higher my per hour rate is, and the more I can get paid. There's a little sacrifice in quality, but they are still good enough to be readable, useful and my clients seem to enjoy them. They are definitely better than some of the articles I've seen Associated Content accept. A little bit of style and personality is something that I've had to sacrifice as a web writer.
On the other hand, content writing has improved my writing process. I'm much less likely to hem and haw about a piece. In my previous writing days, the little critic in my head would prevent me from getting much done to begin with. I'd have to break through fear in order to put pen to paper (so to speak). Now I just charge into writing head on and then edit later.
I guess, looking back over my content writing career, writing for the web hasn't made me better or worse....it's made me a different type of writer. Most importantly, it's made me a paid writer! And who doesn't love to get paid for what they enjoy doing?
If you're a web writer I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think your observation that writing for the web makes you a different type of writer is valid. It's not better, or worse--just different. I do think it's best to balance yourself with different types of writing. You may want to set aside a certain amount of your writing time each week for a different kind of writing (maybe queries).
Post a Comment