Monday, November 06, 2006

My search for small streams of income

When I first came across the idea of small streams of income, I thought that I needed to have a lot going on at the same time. I quickly jumped into several types of money making ventures and learned all that I could about them. This included:

eBay Businesses
Internet Marketing
Adsense sites
Blogging
"Click Flipping"
Affiliate Marketing

and so on and so on. My "Ebooks" folder on my computer is filled to the brim, and I can't tell you how many "internet gurus" I've read. (as a side note, I absolutely hate the word guru as a term for a business leader. To me, guru is a very spiritual term and isn't appropriate).

The problem? I suffered information overload! I didn't know what to do or where to start my business. I quickly realized that I would never have multiple streams of income if I couldn't even start one stream.

So I began content writing, because it seemed easy to start and I felt good putting my degree to work. And work I did! I have worked really hard over the last year writing for clients and building income.

I recently realized though, I haven't really been building an business...I've just been making cash! What's the difference? I have some repeat clients, but no web presence as a writer. I've realized that I need to get some sort of website together and start marketing myself more effectively.

At the same time, I've realized the frantic pace at which I've been working is not going to last for long. My daughter is growing up, we just got custody of my stepson and I am having our (now) third child in March. I can't be super-writer and super-mom at the same time.

I need something that is less hands on, and more friendly to a busy mom's schedule. So far, I've found a balance with taking on less writing work and participating in GPT programs. Get Paid To Programs, like Cash on Tap have allowed me to balance my writing a bit with my life.

It's still an imperfect process, and in the coming months I am going to be experimenting more with this small stream as well as expanding to some others.

No comments: